[Asterisk-Users] Noisy/Clicky hangup

Adam Roach adam at dynamicsoft.com
Fri Sep 5 15:26:36 MST 2003

This is an oddity of how the POTS works, and has nothing
to do with asterisk.

For almost all domestic switches in the world, the called
party can hang up the handset without disconnecting
the call. If the phone is picked up before a timer
pops (on the order of 10-30 seconds), then the call
continues. Only after this timer expires does the call
actually get disconnected. Ostensibly, this gives
the called party (who may not be prepared to receive
a call) the opportunity to hang up, move (briskly)
to another phone, and pick back up. In practice, it's
silly because so few people know it works that way.

The clicks and pops are just line noise. You'll probably
hear the same thing if you pick up your phone, hit a
single touch tone (not 0), and then listen.

/a