[Asterisk-Users] The sounds of silence: silent soundfiles available

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Sep 4 22:43:02 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-05 at 00:05, John Todd wrote:
> As has been noted before on this list, the Wait() application does
> not listen for keystrokes from users.  Many of you, like me, have
> looping Background(), Wait(), and Goto() application priority chains
> that prompt users to enter some data, and then repeat the
> instructions if no keys are pressed.  The problem of course is if the
> user doesn't start pressing keys during the Background() call and
> delays until the Wait() application is called, those keys are lost.
>
> I had solved this some time back by creating a few random length
> files of silence, that would replace Wait() routines in some
> circumstances.  I have finally created a formal measured group of
> files, each with 1-10 seconds of silence, and put them in my sounds
> directory for public consumption.  Not a big deal for most of you to
> create these files yourselves, but perhaps a minor pain that
> hopefully I've removed for some people who don't have sound tools
> handy.
>
> http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/sounds/silence/

And you missed the right way to deal with this. You may have to break
your extensions into more contexts, but you let the timeout function do
it's work.

[learning_the_way]
exten => s,1,DigitTimeout,5
exten => s,2,ResponseTimeout,10
exten => s,3,background(instructions)
exten => s,4,background(more_instructions)

exten => t,1,Goto(s|3)

This will let the call progress through the backgound apps, and if it
falls out of these rules, then it waits 10 seconds and falls into the t
extension where you can do whatever you like even going back and
repeating the instructions.