[Asterisk-Users] The sounds of silence: silent soundfiles available

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Sep 4 22:05:00 MST 2003

As has been noted before on this list, the Wait() application does
not listen for keystrokes from users.  Many of you, like me, have
looping Background(), Wait(), and Goto() application priority chains
that prompt users to enter some data, and then repeat the
instructions if no keys are pressed.  The problem of course is if the
user doesn't start pressing keys during the Background() call and
delays until the Wait() application is called, those keys are lost.

I had solved this some time back by creating a few random length
files of silence, that would replace Wait() routines in some
circumstances.  I have finally created a formal measured group of
files, each with 1-10 seconds of silence, and put them in my sounds
directory for public consumption.  Not a big deal for most of you to
create these files yourselves, but perhaps a minor pain that
hopefully I've removed for some people who don't have sound tools
handy.

http://www.loligo.com/asterisk/sounds/silence/

JT