[Asterisk-Users] SIP on TCP

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Sep 3 23:55:01 MST 2003

"Abi"-
   I would suggest you then put in a feature request into
http://bugs.digium.com/ and include this list thread.  Perhaps, in
their copious spare time ;) the Asterisk development folks (or you,
or someone else) might create a patch to handle SIP TCP connections.
Of course, since Asterisk is open source, feel free to create the
patch, sign the disclaimer (on the bugs site) and submit it!
Everyone wins.  I have not personally found carriers that insist on
TCP signalling for SIP, but I suppose I can see why (despite the
higher load on core SIP proxies.)

   If you are unable to make Asterisk work in a real business
environment as you describe, then this is probably a serious issue
that should be considered as a more important feature request than
others.

   I don't know how to automatically determine TCP or UDP for outbound
connections without blocking or putting in some really nasty UDP
failure detection modes.  Maybe this would best be configured to
start with just "protocol=[tcp,udp]" as the only options, but I leave
that to the patch writers, as they know far better than me how to
make that work.

JT