[Asterisk-Users] Packet8 Users

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Wed Sep 3 23:36:41 MST 2003

>I am aware of a least a few people (including me) who were using the
>Packet8 service along with Asterisk for outgoing calls. Last night
>Packet8 did a software upgrade and both last night and this morning
>I have been unable to make any outgoing calls. Has anyone else
>noticed this behavior and/or been able to correct it? I get Got SIP
>response 403 "Forbidden" back from 4.42.235.170 when trying to make
>calls.

This is a wild guess, but let me throw it out there.  Take a look at
the User-Agent: header from a Cisco ATA-186 or maybe from one of the
Packet8 devices.  Then, go into chan_sip.c and alter the User-Agent:
setting from "Asterisk PBX" to one of those values.  See if your
dialing works.

Other providers have been known to implement this type of
"User-Agent:" filter to (crudely) try to disallow certain types of
equipment not on their "authorized" lists from accessing their
systems.  I don't know if that's what happened with Packet8, but it's
worth a shot, and will probably tell you more than calling their help
desk.

JT