[Asterisk-Users] Designing a lab for a telecommuncations course using Asterisk

Leif Madsen leif at radiokaos.com
Tue Sep 2 22:13:28 MST 2003

Hello all,

I have been asked to help in the design of a lab for a
telecommunications technology course (third year students) to teach VoIP
technologies.  Here is a cut n' paste of an email I received from one of
my instructors

"A very important consideration is the numbering plan and if telephone
domains (areas) can be established. In principle I suppose so. My idea
is to have local, interareas, and finally Internet voice calls. The lab
would include BGP, OSPF or ISIS, and maybe MPLS. That's what is ticking
in my mind. Who knows at the end, really. When I get to design labs I
become a little too creative."

Here is a little bit about how the lab is setup:

10 tables in the classroom, with each table having 3 desktop servers
running SCSI hardware and a pair of 10/100 network cards.  At least 2
computers per table will contain a TDM40B card.  Each student in the
class also has a laptop which is connected to the LAN as well, so each
table now has 3 desktops and 3 laptops.

Each table then has network drops to both Internet and to LAN to racks
at the back of the classroom.  The racks contain approximately 20 Cisco
2600 routers and about 12 Cisco 3500 XL switches with fiber modules.
There is also a single 6509 which we were using for Inter-VLAN routing
over fiber between the switches.

So basically, if you had access to this equipment, and you were asked to
design some labs, what would you do?  What kinds of things would you do
with Asterisk based on what I have mentioned?  If I have no given enough
information somewhere, feel free to ask and I will explain anything that
I can.

Thanks in advance,
Leif Madsen.