[Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

Johnson, Randy rjohnson at Spang.com
Fri Oct 31 07:22:33 MST 2003

There are good instructions for building a minimal RedHat 7.2
(http://www.muine.org/~hoang/minired.html) or 7.3
(http://www.muine.org/~hoang/minired73.html) system.

I have not followed these instructions, but I have followed the same
author's documentation for Postfix configuration.  He claims the setup uses
261MB of disk space.

Randy Johnson

-----Original Message-----
From: JR Richardson [mailto:jr.richardson at cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:32 PM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Absolute Minimum Installation Packages

I'm trying to get the total Linux/* installation size as small as possible.
I'm wondering if anyone has looked at the installed packages list from the
Redhat installation [rpm -qa] and has parsed out all packages not needed for
* to run.  I follow the custom install guide from Andy Powell but the
installation yields 948+ Meg with 340 installed packages.  I'm sure most of
those packages can be eliminated.

If the installation can be reduced to below, say 600 Meg, then there's an
opportunity to harden * into a KNOPPIX Customization.

BTW, has anyone already tried to produce a KNOPPIX * Customization?

Thanks in advance.

JR