[Asterisk-Users] SS7 signaling/Softswitch

Ray Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Wed Oct 29 09:27:24 MST 2003

I spoke with someone today who is interested in an IP Centrex solution that
starts with about 3500 extensions in a multi-tenant application.  And
growing from there.

I'm wondering about scalability of Asterisk.  I'm trying to put my head
around how to put the whole thing together, if it can be put together.

The nice thing about it is that if I can show potential, functionality, and
scalability, which is something I'm starting to see (a recent contributor
indicated 240 simultaneous calls), the deal will mean more development
dollars for adding fine features to Asterisk.  If I play my cards right, we
might be able to get the engineering info from Cisco we need to make the
Skinny phones work in all their true, cool functionality.

And to continue with SS7 conversations, I think this gets a good tie in for
SS7 for handling numerous distributed gateways and Telco interactions.

So a number of questions:
1) so far, I've heard 240 simultaneous calls.  Does anyone have systems that
are larger?
2) does anyone have suggestions on where to go for making SS7 / Asterisk
integration a reality?  Obviously on a paid basis.
3) can what I'm proposing work, or am I off my rocker?

Obviously there are a bunch of things like redundancy, load balancing, load
management, etc that need to be engineered, but I just wanted to be sure I'm
going in the right path.

For instance, Jeremy, do you have statistics you'd like to publicize in
terms of the number of callers you have, number of active extensions in you
extensions.conf file, number of minutes/channels/... you put through your
system?  How much of it is Asterisk based and how much is simply gateway
calls?

Regards,
Ray Burkholder
www.oneunified.net
704 576 5101

--
Scanned for viruses and dangerous content at
http://www.oneunified.net and is believed to be clean.