[Asterisk-Users] Anyone got VM2 working with MySQL?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Oct 27 11:57:12 MST 2003

On Monday 27 October 2003 12:21, Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> > > In voicemail.conf, however, there is no paramter to specify a
> > > port (or socket), at least not from what I read here on the
> > > list.
> >
> > That is correct; it was never added.  Given the licensing problem
> > with MySQL, it is not likely to be added.
>
> What does that mean in this case:
>
> 1. The port is fixed to 3306, and hostname can be anything, or
> 2. Voicemail can only work with mySQL on the same box via socket
> and hostname must always be "localhost"?

1.  The port is fixed.  You should still be able to use 'localhost' as
the hostname, to get a socket connection, but you will be unable to
use any alternate socket file (could be /tmp/mysql.sock or could be
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock, depending on how it was compiled).

> Moreover: Do we have to expect mySQL support to be removed
> completely, and we should thus not spend our time on building on
> that, including CDR? Or will the db backend be swapped with
> something else like sqllite or pg? As you see I am a bit puzzled
> (and I am probably not alone at that). :->

We expect that the MySQL support will not be enhanced.  When somebody
volunteers to modify the code in such a way as to make another
database an option, that will happen then, not before.  Any legacy
MySQL support will probably be moved at that time to asterisk-addons.
There is also certainly a possibility to make the database support in
voicemail a little more modular, but that will be up to the individual
writing the code.

> > > How is this supposed to work anyway - with another #include
> > > file, or does Asterisk internally merge mySQL voice mailbox
> > > settings and voicemail.conf? When I dial my test setup defined
> > > in mySQL then * complains that there is no such entry... :-(
> >
> > Asterisk would use the settings in the MySQL database instead of,
> > not in addition to, the voicemail boxes in voicemail.conf.
>
> Hm... where would I then define the [general] part and the
> [zonemessages] part that I currently have in voicemail.conf? I see
> no room for that in the proposed table structure.

Sorry, tried to be explicit, but it's using MySQL *only* for voicemail
box definitions, not for any other settings (i.e. either general or
zonemessages).  Obviously, the database parameters must be present
in voicemail.conf, not in the database, otherwise you have a paradox
in the making.  ;-)

-Tilghman