[Asterisk-Users] AGI questions..

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Oct 24 11:30:44 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 10:49, Jared Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:04, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > You can use php, but php is just perl lite. if you do anything more than
> > a trivial app, you will want to be in something more than php. Take for
> > instance all the modules you have in CPAN that can deal with audio,
> > databases and any number of odd things you need to have.
> >
> I don't mean to start a flame war, but it's opinions like this that
> drive me nuts... (And just to be fair Steven, I *almost always* agree
> with your opinions posted to this list.  This one just happens to get on
> my nerves.)  Just because you *obviously* prefer Perl, doesn't mean you
> have to belittle PHP.  WipeOot *obviously* wants to use PHP.  So (in my
> humble opinion) we ought to either help him figure out how to do it in
> PHP, or keep our mouths shut.

No need to think this will start a flame war. I think calling it Perl
lite is justified. It does a lot of what perl does, but without some of
the bloat that comes with perl. I write all our web apps in php
specifically for the speed in which I can write them, and the speed in
which they run. I write non web app applications in perl because of the
extended functionality. I think calling it perl lite is less belittling
than the comments I hear regularly which is perl--. It has been
commented by many people out side of this forum that php tries real hard
to not reinvent perl, but they tend to do it that way anyways after a
while because it is easier. I don't know if that is true or not. I do
see how easy it is to copy php code to perl and barely have to change
anything to make it function. This is because perl, for the most part,
is a super set of php.

As for the helping WipeOut, I thought I was, I answered his questions.
I'm about to answer more of them.

> And, for what it's worth, PHP also has a large code base to deal with
> audio, databases, and "any number of odd things".  While they might not
> have as much user-contributed code as CPAN, PHP is certainly a lot more
> than just "perl lite".
>
> /me runs off to put on some flame-resistant clothing

No need. I have left the flame thrower in my basement at home next to
the metal work I have been banging on lately. So funny how getting a new
hobby has helped my mood and patience.