[Asterisk-Users] AGI questions..

Jared Smith jsmith at drgutah.com
Fri Oct 24 08:49:08 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 09:04, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> You can use php, but php is just perl lite. if you do anything more than
> a trivial app, you will want to be in something more than php. Take for
> instance all the modules you have in CPAN that can deal with audio,
> databases and any number of odd things you need to have.

I don't mean to start a flame war, but it's opinions like this that
drive me nuts... (And just to be fair Steven, I *almost always* agree
with your opinions posted to this list.  This one just happens to get on
my nerves.)  Just because you *obviously* prefer Perl, doesn't mean you
have to belittle PHP.  WipeOot *obviously* wants to use PHP.  So (in my
humble opinion) we ought to either help him figure out how to do it in
PHP, or keep our mouths shut.

And, for what it's worth, PHP also has a large code base to deal with
audio, databases, and "any number of odd things".  While they might not
have as much user-contributed code as CPAN, PHP is certainly a lot more
than just "perl lite".

/me runs off to put on some flame-resistant clothing

Jared Smith