[Asterisk-Users] Is the X100P a WinModem?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 12:16:39 MST 2003

--- Ethan <telmnstr at 757.org> wrote:

> > what their costs are or what makes them successful.  Armchair
> > businessmen are a dime a dozen; it doesn't help that everytime you
> > post to the list, you advocate products which will undercut
> Digium's
> > source of revenue.
>
> Isn't this what Linux is about?
>
> Every asterisk box helps to cause things like the layoffs of
> thousands of
> our peers that worked for Avaya/Lucent, Nortel, and others from the
> commercial PBX manufacturers. Times change, and I don't think the
> Winmodem hack will really hurt Digum that bad.

I agree with the above 100%.  In fact the best thing that could
happen to Asterisk would be for someone to figure out how to make FXS
cards priced at $10 per line.  I'm thinking all that is really
required is full duplex sound card and a ringer.  Ringers can be made
with a 555 timer IC, a trasister and a voltage source and controlled
from a bit on a parallel port.

My interrest is radio.  I'd like to use Asterisk as a N-way audio
switch between a set of ham radios and to act as a "transcoder" between
a few of the ham-oriented VOIP systems like IRLP, Echo Lnk, Wires and
the like.

What got me started was one day I was sailing off the coast of
So. Cailornia and had a shirt pocket sized VHF and could talk to
another ham who has riding a bus in England.  Voice was being routed
between fixed land based repeters over the Internet.  The system is
not easy to use, like say, a cell phone is.  I got to thinking
Why Not? and then stumbled on Asterisk while using Google to
find software that could route audio over IP.

Have you guys looked into the origens of the Zaptel hardware?
The whole idea was to make the hardware design public so anyone
could build and sell it, even a home hobbyist. (Yes you can
build ISA cards with simple hand tools. I've got a few
one-off cards.  PCI is harder though)  The goal was to drive
down the cost of hardware.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com