[Asterisk-Users] IAX peers and NAT

WipeOut wipe_out at onetel.com
Thu Oct 23 11:12:21 MST 2003

Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> Help, I'm stuck. Lost in the woods.
>
> I have one Asterisk running on FreeBSD outside on the Wild Internet.
> One on the safe inside, behind a NAT firewall.
>
> The inside server registers with IAX to the outer one and can place
> calls.
> The outside one can't register to the one on the inside, since it
> can't be reached
> on the private network.
>
> Now to my problem:
> * How do I dial from outside to the inside over the existing IAX
> connection?
>
> When I dial from the outside to the inside by using the registred
> loginname like
>
>   exten => 1234,1,Dial(IAX/loginname/12345)
>
> The outside server seems to dial the one on the inside, but I see
> nothing on the inside.
> The log on the outside mysteriously enough claims it can't
> authenticate to the inside
> server - but how do I authenticate, all authentication in IAX is based
> on hostname
> or IP numbers...
> And even more mysteriously, the message in the logfile says
>
> Oct 23 19:26:21 WARNING[137286656]: File chan_iax.c, Line 3838
> (socket_read): I don't know how to authenticate
> methods=rsa;challenge=135582743;username=iaxtel to <nat ip #>
>
> I can't find out where the username=iaxtel and methods=rsa come from,
> have no such configuration for this
> session. The NAT IP # is the outside address of my firewall.
>
> It is probably something basic that I've misunderstood. Please tell me!
>
> /Olle

You don't really need the outside one to register with the inside one
bacasue you can call it by the name its registering with..

But have to tell it where to connect to..
eg. exten => 1234,1,Dial(IAX/loginname:password at otherserver/12345)

Where otherserver is the name you specified between the [] in the peer
definition in you iax.conf..

Hope that helps..

Later..