[Asterisk-Users] IAX peers and NAT

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Oct 23 10:50:31 MST 2003

Help, I'm stuck. Lost in the woods.

I have one Asterisk running on FreeBSD outside on the Wild Internet.
One on the safe inside, behind a NAT firewall.

The inside server registers with IAX to the outer one and can place calls.
The outside one can't register to the one on the inside, since it can't be reached
on the private network.

Now to my problem:
* How do I dial from outside to the inside over the existing IAX connection?

When I dial from the outside to the inside by using the registred loginname like

   exten => 1234,1,Dial(IAX/loginname/12345)

The outside server seems to dial the one on the inside, but I see nothing on the inside.
The log on the outside mysteriously enough claims it can't authenticate to the inside
server - but how do I authenticate, all authentication in IAX is based on hostname
or IP numbers...
And even more mysteriously, the message in the logfile says

Oct 23 19:26:21 WARNING[137286656]: File chan_iax.c, Line 3838 (socket_read): I don't know how to authenticate
methods=rsa;challenge=135582743;username=iaxtel to <nat ip #>

I can't find out where the username=iaxtel and methods=rsa come from, have no such configuration for this
session. The NAT IP # is the outside address of my firewall.

It is probably something basic that I've misunderstood. Please tell me!

/Olle