[Asterisk-Users] "Defragmenting" mailboxes

Ryan Tucker rtucker at netacc.net
Tue Oct 21 13:14:36 MST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:09:27 -0600, Jared Smith <jsmith at drgutah.com> wrote:
>> If not, if I get a chance, I'll whip something up.  -rt
>
> Yes, the gaps in the numbering get really annoying.  Unfortunately, it's
> a little bit risky to go moving files around without stopping asterisk
> first, or you might just contribute to the problem instead of helping
> it.  (For example, if someone is leaving a message while you are
> renumbering the files.)

It may indeed make things worse.  Those are the risks we take when delving
into quick hacks.  :-)

I was mostly considering it for manual use, while watching the console for
traffic.  For those times when you're looking at the mailbox and thinking
"auuugh, this is wedged something fierce".

> I think the best long-term solution is to [ask|beg|pay|coerce|convince]
> someone to fix the way voicemail messages are numbered to avoid race
> conditions.

I fully well agree.  :-)

Our end goal is to move voicemail handling (and most everything else!)
into an AGI program, so we probably aren't going to be putting too much
effort into cleaning voicemail up.  A good, quick, dirty, immediate fix
would be to have it be able to mind the gap and keep playing back
voicemails after the hole, but I don't know enough C to intelligently pull
that off.  -rt

--
Ryan Tucker
Network Engineer