(Ethernet issues) RE: [Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue Oct 21 08:24:00 MST 2003

Personally, I just wire every jack the same way back to the patch panels,
4pr cat5 or better, terminated in an rj45. Back at the panel wire the blue
pair to your analog telephony stuff, and the org/grn to your networking.
Then if you plug in an rj11 you get a phone line, if you plug in a network
cable that works too. Some would say this is wasteful of wire, but in
reality the wire is the least part of the cost of a cabling installation.
Labour far outweighs it.

If you want a physical 10mb/sec subnet for your phones, easy, just patch
the relevant jacks into that hub/switch, separated from the jacks used from
your data network.

There are also some ways to stretch this distance limit if you are careful,
and limit the branching topology of the lan segment.