[Asterisk-Users] Survey: Grandstream improvements.........

rnc Info Lists info-lists at robertc.de
Tue Oct 21 03:35:21 MST 2003

> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Low, Adam wrote:
>
>> Maybe I am missing something here but why would it downgrade their
>> network speed to 10mbps, its very rare to find a 100bT switches these
>> days that don't also support 10bT. In a switched ethernet network there
>> would be no performance loss for the other ports !?
>
> The cable goes into the phone and then out of the phone into the computer.
> That switch in the phone is 10Mbit so the computer ends up on 10Mbit too.
> Perhaps the best way to avoid this is to join all the phones together
> since they are all 10Mbit anyway, so you will then just need one extra
> ethernet socket in the room for all the telephones.
>
> Michael

Michael,
How would you be able to connect all phones in a room to one socket?  The
Ethernet specificiation has a limit to the number of hubs/switches that
can be inline.  (or at least it used to).  The only way I can see to
connect all phones to one socket would be to daisy chain them.  This would
not be a good solution since:
- all phones would use the same 10mbps segment, chances for collisions
  would be high
- rules of Ethernet would be violated so even if it did work it may stop
  at any point with some other normally minor change.

Robert