[Asterisk-Users] Paging/Intercom (was: OT - SIP Auto-Answer for Cisco 7940/7960!!)

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Sun Oct 19 19:04:58 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 18:40, John Todd wrote:

> Looks useful, but requires essentially a second line to work as a
> pager or intercom.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but as an an example
> it would require a whole ATA-186 to just get one line and the
> "paging" feature working, plus perhaps some additional wiring to work
> that all into the power pair.  Also, it is unclear if that will work
> at all, since there is no documentation on their website about how,
> exactly, the "pager" or "intercom" features work.  It's completely
> undiscussed at the nuts-and-bolts level (though they tell you what
> buttons to push.)

Whats important to note, I think these do out of band negotiation on a
common wire pair. These phones usually are setup on the end of a set of
analog phones lines all wired the same. Basically instead of having a
intelligent switch front the phones, each phone communicates to each
other what it is doing. Since they need common wiring, a ATA186 wouldn't
help you here.