[Asterisk-Users] The Start extension

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Oct 19 12:14:37 MST 2003

At 6:23 PM +0200 10/19/03, rnc Info Lists wrote:

>I have my sip phones going into the context [from-sip] and would like to
>play an introduction message and then have the caller enter the extension.
>The message (dir-info was picked just to have something) doesn't play.
>Maybe I misunderstood the "s" extension.  According to what I read it is
>executed everytime something enters the context.  Obviously something was
>misunderstood.
>
>The following is in extensions.com:
>[from-sip]
>exten=> s,1,Answer
>exten=> s,2,Background,dir-intro
>exten=> s,3,DigitTimeout,3
>exten=> s,4,ResponseTimeout,10
>
>exten => 2000,1,Dial(SIP/2000,20)
>exten => 2001,1,Dial(SIP/2000,21)
>

>Any ideas are appreciated.
>
>Robert

The "s" extension is used when there is no known called number.  In
other words, if you are dialing 2000, the dialplan will always prefer
the priority list for 2000 instead of going to 's', so that is why
your current system doesn't work.

I assume that you are ignoring the actual number that people are
dialing, since you are forcing them to re-enter an extension after
hearing a recording.  This seems a little odd, but that's what you
describe, so I'll give you an example with that method.  I use the _.
modifier to grab "all dialed sequences" and then simply re-map that
to a new context and extension for ease of processing.  If you're
dealing with wildcards for "all numbers", you should get rid of them
as quickly as possible and turn them into something that can be
handled without using wildcard matching.   I could have easily
specified a string instead of a number (i.e.: "allnumbers" instead of
9999) as that eliminates the ability for the normal DTMF user to
input your "magic" secret number.  However, that is up to the
programmer as to what method they choose.

[from-sip]
exten => _.,1,Goto(from-sip2,9999,1)

exten => h,1,Hangup

[from-sip2]