[Asterisk-Users] my asterisk experience (long)

TeleSIP ricvil at telesip.net
Sat Oct 18 14:17:32 MST 2003

> > How does the CISCO ATA sound quality, functionality and stability
compares
> to the Grandstream phones?
Sound Quality using G.729:  Grandstream phones are superior.  They sound
perfect even with slight packet loss.  The ATA will sound very good with 0%
packet loss but if you ramp it up a bit it degrades quite badly.

Stability:  This is where the ATA shines.   It has proved very stable 99% of
the time.  Very few times have we found one that needs to be reset.  On the
other hand the Grandstreams do stop registering every now and then and there
is also an issue with STUN and changing IP Addresses at the client side.
Neverthless the Grandstream folks are quite on top of things and they assure
us these issues are being fixed.

We are quite happy with the Grandstream phones and if these issues get
resolved and the ATA286 becomes available soon, we might just stop buying
the Cisco ATA.