[Asterisk-Users] my asterisk experience (long)

Uriel Carrasquilla uriel at adelphia.net
Sat Oct 18 12:43:18 MST 2003

I bought a Grandstream 101, then I bought 2 more.  I also got a Cisco
ATA186.   I had looked into using the ATA186 with asterisk, and it looked
like I could get it to work.  When I got it, I realized that It didn't have
the same firmware as I thought it would.  In fact, as it was, I couldn't get
it to work with asterisk at all.  I tried to get a firmware update from the
Cisco website.  Their website is ridiculously complex and annoying.  In the
end, though the web site didn't tell me this explicitly, I found that they
would not let me download a firmware upgrade.  Luckily I was able
successfully navigate their huge and annoying phone system to reach an
engineer who was nice enough to email me the SIP firmware upgrade "as a
courtesy".  After I loaded that firmware the Cisco ATA186 has worked good.

> How does the CISCO ATA sound quality, functionality and stability compares
to the Grandstream phones?