[Asterisk-Users] System layout

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Oct 17 23:41:30 MST 2003

>Hi,
>   I'm a bit new to phone systems technology, so sorry if this
>question may sound uninformed.
>
>   I want to put together a system of about 20 stations.  What I'm
>invisioning is a system where about 16 users have a inexpensive
>handset hooked up to their computer via some sort of modem and the
>computer would run their usual Windows apps with a client that
>serves as a more complex interface to voice mail and extended
>dialing features.  I would like the handset to behave as a normal
>phone as long as the computer is turned on.
>
>   The other 4 stations would be "stand alone" handsets so that a
>receptionist could answer and forward calls to either the user or
>his/her voicemail.
>
>   Is something like this possible using asterisk software/digicom
>hardware?  Would it be reliable for 20 stations/16 users, 6 phone
>lines?
>
>   Also I'd like to have worldwide users appear to be on the local
>phone system through voice over ip.  Is that possible?  Our local
>network is 100 mb/s and our internet connection is 768kb/s in both
>directions.  Would that be enough?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jake

Yes, Asterisk can do everything you've listed.

  - www.xten.com for Windows SIP voice clients
  - ? for USB handsets - xten supports some, I think - look on their
website for vendors
  - www.cisco.com for 7960 "nice" operator stations
  - 768kbps is fine for 6 simultaneous calls (preferably something
other than the g.711 codec, which is the highest quality sound by a
slim margin but at least double the bandwidth of the nearest
comparable codec)  as long as it's not saturated with other traffic
already.

JT