[Asterisk-Users] IAX with dynamic echo cancellation - what do you think?

John Harragin jharragi at mw.k12.ny.us
Fri Oct 17 14:00:24 MST 2003

I've been curious how IAX has been working for users running without a
jitterbuffer and no echo cancellation. In my particular installation, IAX2
traffic remains within a pretty high bandwith WAN ( - but busy as it is
linking buildings in a school district). It seems that at most times, things
could run quite nicely in this mode.

The ability to dynamically disable echo cancellation when end to end latency
is below a certain threshold would be great. Could this be accomplished by
monitoring the jitterbuffer size or properties? ...or some better means of
measuring network delay, like a timestamp packet that echos back to the
origin every so often with the iax streams, could be used to accomplish
this. Transmission of these packets would end once the determination that
echo cancellation was needed on a particular conversation takes place - so
the additional bandwidth would never be an issue.

John Harragin

This e-mail was scanned and found clean by Monroe-Woodbury CSD Antivirus.