[Asterisk-Users] Paging/Intercom (was: OT - SIP Auto-Answer for Cisco 7940/7960!!)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Oct 16 22:55:41 MST 2003

>I've been digging around with some cisco engineers for about a week
>& I finally got an encouraging response to the Auto-Answer issue
>with the SIP Phones.
>
>Here is their reply:
>
>===============
>== FROM CISCO ==
>===============
>
>Auto-Answer feature is introduced in SIP IP Phone 6.0 version. This
>software version
>is expected to be available for customers shortly.
>
>Please let me know if you have any questions.
>
>==============
>== END CISCO ==
>==============
>

>Hopefully we'll finally have an intercom/paging solution with Cisco
>SIP Phones!!!
>Thought I would share the news with any/all who are interested.

This is very good news.  I'll be very interested to see how Cisco has
chosen to implement SIP-based paging and/or intercom (i.e.:
auto-answer.)

On the analog front, since we're talking about paging or intercom: it
has been mentioned that the Sayson ADSI phones (Aastra?) are
integrated with an Altigen PBX system, that the phones can support
paging.  See the link below.

http://www.sayson.com/product/Altigen.htm

If this could be combined with a Cisco ATA-186 or similar product,
would it not be possible to have paging via SIP delivery?  I have not
put anything other than the most basic thought into this, and I don't
know exactly how they support ADSI-based paging, but has anyone
worked on this?  I mentioned it via IRC and someone said they took a
half-hearted stab at it, but it didn't sound like it had been
explored in depth.  That is a major feature issue that most business
customers are looking for, and it would be great to have some
combination of devices that offered paging or intercom.

JT