[Asterisk-Users] SER vs STUND with Asterisk..

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 04:38:27 MST 2003

John Todd wrote:

> At 10:22 AM +0100 10/16/03, WipeOut wrote:
>
>> John Todd wrote:
>>
>>> You could do this with Asterisk via the existing "qualify=500"
>>> syntax or similar in sip.conf to keep a packet going between
>>> Asterisk and the SIP device every 45 seconds (or whatever you hacked
>>> the timer to use, if you don't like that value.)  This keeps the
>>> mapping open just fine for any NAT device I've ever seen.  It works
>>> fine with dynamic hosts, even behind NAT - I just triple-checked and
>>> it does do what I expected it to do.
>>

>> I did not know that "qualify=" caused Asterisk to send a "keep-alive"
>> packet, I thought it was only to set a timeout for the UA to respond
>> when a call needed to be terminated there before moving to the next
>> priority.. If it does what you say then I can definately use it..
>> Thanks..
>

> My example line will send an "OPTIONS" request every 45 seconds.  If
> the response time to the OPTIONS request is more than 500
> milliseconds, the SIP host is tagged as "unavailable" and removed from
> the operational list.

Just tried it out and mine is sending the OPTIONS request every 60
seconds, but thats still fine its working like a dream.. My previous
workaround for NAT closing the ports was to get the phone to re-register
every 60-120 seconds depending on the router and how quickly it closed
the ports.. This way will generate far less traffic.. Thanks for the
tip.. :)

Later..