[Asterisk-Users] SER vs STUND with Asterisk..

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Thu Oct 16 03:40:06 MST 2003

On 16-10 00:55, John Todd wrote:
> [...]
> SIP system administrators.  The hopefully-soon-to-be-approved ICE
> RFC's will make things even easier by testing even the RTP ports, but
> it will be some time before we see clients with that functionality
> built in.

  I am personally a little bit skeptic about the implementation of
  the ICE draft. It is very complex and hard to implement, just realize that
  you have to run STUN on every port you are going to use. It is maybe more
  complicated than SIP itself. But on the other hand it works really
  everywhere and the draft is well written, one can get a good overview how
  NATs complicate our life :-).

  Very good results can be achieved with symmetric SIP user agents, such
  user agents can be made to work behind any NAT quite easily when the
  SIP server is in the public internet. Fortunatelly most existing SIP
  phones and user agents are symmetric.

    Jan.