[Asterisk-Users] Mitel 5055 phone

Mark Knox segfault at hardline.org
Wed Oct 15 20:32:54 MST 2003

Hi,

I have a Mitel 5055 working quite well with *, so I'll try to answer
some of these questions..

>> I'd like to find out more about it too.. Are the buttons programmable as
>> line appearances and speed dials too? Does anyone have one working as a
>> standalone SIP phone with no Mitel PBX/other hardware in the mix?

The 7 softkeys are programmable as speed dial using either digits or SIP
URLs, via the built-in web server. There are 4 line keys but they aren't
programmable. It has all the usual buttons like headset/mic/speaker,
transfer, conf, phonebook, superkey (menu), etc. It supports G711 u-Law
and a-Law, and G729a.

The 5055 is designed to work fairly well as a standalone device (i.e.
without any pbx involved), although I've never used mine that way. There
is built-in dial plan stuff, phonebook, etc, and it can have up to 4
users with different profiles as well.

>> I am working with one now.  As far as I have gotten is that I can
>> authenticate against asterisk but then can't make a call.  I will be
>> spending more time on this this week.  Too many projects.

You may need newer firmware, but if it has actually authenticated, it
should work fine. My issues were all in getting it to auth properly.

If you go into the web interface, and look under Registration, there is
a status display which should say something like "registered to <hostname>".

For reference, I have the 5055 set up with the following under User Config:
User ID: segfault
SIP Auth User Name: segfault
Password: 12345 < obviously not the real thing :) >

and these under SIP Config:
SIP Proxy: <my * hostname (not IP)>
SIP Registration Server: <my * hostname (not IP)>
Auth Method: digest
Transport Protocol: UDP
Symmetric UDP: on

Under Network Config, I have assigned it a static address and routing
info, but that shouldn't matter.

Here's the sip.conf entry for it:

[segfault]
type=friend
username=segfault
secret=12345
host=dynamic
canreinvite=no
qualify=no
context=local
dtmfmode=rfc2833
mailbox=200

>   Please post your summary to the list when you are completed. Another
> decent higher-end phone is good news for everyone, and if you can find
> out the specifics of why the Mitel doesn't work with *, perhaps the rest
> of the community can come up with some patch ideas.

As I noted above, it should work fine. Hope this helps.