[Asterisk-Users] */SER/FW

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 15:10:47 MST 2003

A few reasons why one may want to use SER in a small network.  Of
course the claim of "thousands of calls processed per second"
makes SER attactive to large networks, most of use don't have
1000 users period let alone 1000 per second.

In a small network you might like these features:

1) users can sign up for service them selves.  With * an admin must
   edit a couple *.conf files in /etc/asterisk.  With three
   users this is a non-issue but with three dozen maybe you start to
   care?

2) you may want very fine control over routing.  What attacted me
   to SER was that SIP protocol level details are exposed to the
   system admin via the config file.  so there is at lest some
   hope of overcomming some of the issues with NAT

I think it is safe to say that if your needs are both simple and
your call volume is resonable then Asterisk alone will do just fine.
but as soon either of those two conditions fail to apply you may
want to look at SER.  Being in back of a NAT firewal may
be enough to fail the "simple" condidtion, I don't know yet.

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550