[Asterisk-Users] */SER/FW

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Tue Oct 14 11:12:51 MST 2003

>Hi,
>
>I've just read the postings regarding the interworking between * and SER.
>As these persons seem quite knowledgeable on this, I would like to have
>their advise on my planned installation:
>
>- I have broadband cable access
>- I plan to install a SIP-aware router
>- I plan to install a Linux server with Digium analog IF card(s) for
>connection to my analog line (incoming and outgoing)
>- I plan to install Asteriks on that server
>- I plan to install a SIP-proxy,registrar on the same server (I've been
>looking at iptel's SER)
>- I plan to use the Budgetone SIP phones
>- I plan to have a public (static) IP address
>
>All this to have my own little phone company for me and my family/friends
>as we are spread over Europe (high international phone costs!). Calling
>eachother on our SIP phones and also being able to use eachother's PBX's to
>make local calls. I would host the SIP Registrar (in stead of outsourcing).
>
>My main question lies in the interworking between iptel's SER and Asteriks.
>Not only on the configuration side, but also on the network side (here I
>mean: can both run on the same server, or do they need to have different IP
>addresses, ...).
>
>Does anybody have a diagram or any practical guide on how to install this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steven

Unless you have very specific reasons for running SER, I would
suggest also that you stay with Asterisk only.  Your network does not
sound large enough or complex enough to justify use of SER,
especially if you're already using Asterisk boxes as  'gateways' to
the PSTN in several countries.  SER is very nice, but do you know why
you think you need it?

JT