[Asterisk-Users] SER vs STUND with Asterisk..

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Wed Oct 15 10:23:35 MST 2003

One for the gurus..

I have seen there has been a lot of discussion about using SER with
Asterisk.. This to me seemed like an over kill becasue it would
basically be doing most of what Asterisk is doing anyway unless you
create some weird and wonderful config in SER..

Anyway, I decided to go and have a quick read through the SER docs and
in the section about NAT they say that the best way to address NAT is to
use STUN or uPNP..

So my question is would it not be better to couple STUND (Vovida.org)
with Asterisk and then use nat=yes in the sip.conf for UA's that do not
support STUN, instead of using SER which would be like learning Asterisk
all over again and would require you to learn how to use the SER config
language to manage your NAT transtaltions..

To me the idea of using STUND just seems far simpler that using SER and
they can probably quite easily run side bt side on the same server..

Maybe I am missing something and someone can explain to me what it is? :)

Later..