[Asterisk-Users] Digium should develop and sell just Dummy card. For timing...

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Oct 15 07:17:44 MST 2003

> Its a free world and everyone is entitled to their opinion.  Here's mine
> on this topic.  The cards aren't so expensive (99.95 USD).  If they have
> their own hardware then they don't have to depend on the target system
> having a particular configuration.  Example:  right now I am running * on
> a system that has NO USB ports so couldn't use USB for timing. That makes
> their programming much easier.

Agreed, as I'd mentioned in my post.

> As has already been pointed out, nothing keeps someone from writing
> patches to use some other timing device.  Digium is nice enough to put
> Asterisk as public software. Lets don't screw that up. Be part of the
> solution, don't complain about the problem. If you have a solution
> suggestion then post it.. probably others would be happy to help you

Also as I'd written.  It seems we're arguing the same side of the argument.
:-)   My compliant was not that the timing was needed, but that Digium
seems so damned secretive about it.  I mean this is OSS -- just tell us
that having a common timing source across all platforms makes things really
easy, you don't have to screw with looking at writing an alternative driver
for RTC or USB or XYZ and hey, we happen to make some money selling these
boards too.  If you are running a SIP-only * box then here are some
alternative timing drivers, point them at some URLs and oh by the way, we
didn't write 'em, we don't support 'em, they seem to work fine with others
though.

What's wrong with that?

Regards,
Andrew