[Asterisk-Users] Cisco hard IP phones and Skinny vs. SIP

Florian Overkamp florian at obsimref.com
Wed Oct 15 03:14:13 MST 2003

Hi,

At 17:14 14-10-2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I have Asterisk up and running and it is working great with my SIP phones.
>
>However, I have some "Skinny"-protocol Cisco 7960s.  Does Asterisk support
>the Skinny protocol?  I've seen some references to Skinny in the software.
>If so, should I stick with Skinny with the 7960 or convert to SIP?  If
>anyone has some Skinny confs they would send me I'd be much obliged.
>
>If I should convert to SIP... how?  I've seen the Cisco directions but they
>involve downloading software from Cisco that I can't download because I
>don't have a maintenance contract. Is there a way around this, or am I
>better off sticking with Skinny?

Skinny is still a little less mature then SIP, so if you want a production
solution, go with SIP for now. If you have some time to help develop/debug,
stick with Skinny :-)

You can probably find SIP loads for the phone around somewhere, although I
don't have them (don't have any 7960's, though I'd love to :-).

The skinny.conf samples should tell you enough to get going. It will work
for simply making and receiving calls. Advanced features such as
transferring etc. may be more difficult.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Florian Overkamp
ObSimRef BV (http://www.obsimref.com/)