[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Certified Hardware label?

mattf mattf at vicimarketing.com
Tue Oct 14 14:43:40 MST 2003

Hello,

While I've been searching for SIP hardphones and trying to pick between all
of the different features that are available for them I had the idea that we
(The Asterisk community) should create a label that hard-phone manufacturers
can put on their products that meet basic requirements to function with the
Asterisk VOIP system. Or, at the very least, a listing on a website that
would show which features work on each specific hard-phone.

You would think this would be as simple as saying "It says SIP compatible so
it must run with Asterisk", but as I found out when I had a new Teledex SIP
phone to test for a week and never got it to register with Asterisk, that is
not necessarily true.

I would be willing to register a domain and design and host the website, as
well as be a contact for manufacturers and a point-man for Asterisk Users.
I'm sure this would probably need the approval of the guys at Digium, but I
think it would greatly help the community in general as well as promote
Asterisk in the telecom industry.

We may even be able to charge manufacturers for the "privalege" to be
Asterisk Certified or sell them stickers and have all the money go to Digium
for development.

http://www.freedomphones.net/asterisk_certified.gif

Let me know what you think.

MATT---