[Asterisk-Users] */SER/FW

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 14 10:21:23 MST 2003

I think the way to run SER and * on the same box is to have
Asterisk listen to SIP only on the loopback interface 127.0.0.1
that way no SIP clients will ever connect to Asterisk.

Configure SER to use all the interfaces.  SER will connect to
SIP clients over the external interface and will notice Asterisk
on 127.0.0.1

Configure SER to route SIP to SIP calls and forward the rest to
Asterisk.  The details depend on what you are trying to do and
maybe even the caller IDs of the SIP clients?  It just depends.

In my case I'd like any SIP user in the world to be able to call
me just like any PSTN user in the world can call me but I also
would like to provide a service to freinds and family that would
let them make SIP calls to each other, no need to involve Asterisk
in that. I don't want the audio data going over my DSL link.

The reason one might want to use SER is because it can do things
with SIP that Asterisk can't.  SER and Asterisk don't compete
they are complementary.

--- "Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

> > My main question lies in the interworking between iptel's SER and
> Asteriks.
> > Not only on the configuration side, but also on the network side
> (here I
> > mean: can both run on the same server, or do they need to have
> different IP
> > addresses, ...).
> My 10 cents:
>
> Make sure that you run the two SIP proxies (SER and Asterisk) on
> different port
> numbers if you share one  IP address.
>
> Why not make it simple and only run Asterisk? Is it a very large
> family :-)
>
> /O

=====
Chris Albertson