[Asterisk-Users] SIP / IAX over satellite

Uriel Carrasquilla uriel at adelphia.net
Sun Oct 12 20:50:04 MST 2003

are you using Frame Relay? how big are the packets? I don't think you would
be using ATM over a satellite VSAT modem.  Also don't be fooled, satellite
modems don't speak IP.  There is normally an IP edge device that makes you
believe it is IP.
The 500 ms delay is the speed of light.  You need to add the time for the
protocols used by the satellite links.  On top of that, you have the delays
of IAX itself when it assembles the packets.
All in all, you might be experiencing delays closer to 800 ms or more if
VSAT modem is poorly configured.
The other question to ask is if you are fully duplex.  In the satellite
world you do need two independ up/down links.
IP over satellite is crazy.  By nature satellites are broadcasting. Voice
over satellite is already a challenge.  I have done IAX over satellite but
using small frame relay packets (256) and stopping any error retransmissions
on the satellite modems.  The result can be acceptable if you train your
users to the 1/2 second delay and the fact that two people cannot talk at
the same time (a challenge for us in South America).
Regards,
Uriel