[Asterisk-Users] SIP / IAX over satellite

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Oct 11 22:07:49 MST 2003

[post re-ordered chronologically]

It's unlikely that the TCP/IP stack "needs to go".  IP applications
work quite well over satellite, no matter what people tell you.  They
just get really, really slow if they're TCP due to ACK response
delay, and UDP has the aforementioned 500ms lag as well.

The skyx stuff is just a forward-ACKing spoofer for TCP, and probably
some smart squid derivatives to boost HTTP transfer speeds.  Not
useful for VoIP, but probably useful if you're doing anything that's
not UDP based.

For VoIP with IAX, there may be application layer issues that are
smudging your results.  I would suggest that you try to get SIP
working over satellite, as I have had that working with no difficulty
in the past (excepting the delay issues, of course.)  If you can get
"raw" RTP working with SIP, but not IAX2, then perhaps the issue
needs to be patched in the IAX source code if there is some timer
that is expiring inside the IAX protocol.  Let us know how your
results with SIP work.

Again: VoIP works JUST FINE over satellite, at least as far as the
voice quality goes, as long as you have decent bandwidth available.
Latency is another issue, but there's nothing  you're going to be
able to do when you're pushing a radio wave 33,000 miles out and
33,000 miles back - physics doesn't allow for better QoS.  :-)

JT