[Asterisk-Users] multiple SIP users on one phone?

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Oct 10 19:13:41 MST 2003

>Interesting problem:
>
>An organization has departments.
>Each department has a single phone.
>Each department has multiple people.
>Each person within the organization has a direct dial incoming number.
>
>It's easy to set * up so that multiple DDIs get mapped to the same extension.
>
>What I'm wondering is if there's any way, with reasonably priced
>hardware, to notify the person who's about to pick up the phone who
>the call is for. Maybe change the caller ID field or something?
>
>In an ideal world, the hardware would have two lines, one with
>caller ID, one with the name of the person they're trying to call.
>Additionally, a person should be able to field a call, decide they
>can't deal with it, and push a button that redirects the caller to
>the appropriate person's voicemail (based on the incoming DNID).
>
>Is any of this possible? Phone cost per handset should be as low as
>possible, as per usual. :)
>
>I have no experience of SIP hardphones, so don't know how much/what
>information about the call they're capable of displaying.
>
>Regards,
>
>--
>Alastair Maw

The Cisco 7960 supports six lines, meaning six DID's, and inbound
calls will flash the appropriate line icon on the LCD screen.
Similarly, if the correct line appearance button is pressed before
dialing, the outbound SIP call will appear to originate from that
particular line.  Each line also has it's own MWI indicator on the
screen in the form of a flashing envelope.  Price is ~$300 these days
for used 7960 phones, and then you'd need to contact Cisco if the
phones did not already have the SIP image on them.

JT