[Asterisk-Users] multiple SIP users on one phone?

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Fri Oct 10 14:19:57 MST 2003

Interesting problem:

An organization has departments.
Each department has a single phone.
Each department has multiple people.
Each person within the organization has a direct dial incoming number.

It's easy to set * up so that multiple DDIs get mapped to the same
extension.

What I'm wondering is if there's any way, with reasonably priced
hardware, to notify the person who's about to pick up the phone who the
call is for. Maybe change the caller ID field or something?

In an ideal world, the hardware would have two lines, one with caller
ID, one with the name of the person they're trying to call.
Additionally, a person should be able to field a call, decide they can't
deal with it, and push a button that redirects the caller to the
appropriate person's voicemail (based on the incoming DNID).

Is any of this possible? Phone cost per handset should be as low as
possible, as per usual. :)

I have no experience of SIP hardphones, so don't know how much/what
information about the call they're capable of displaying.

Regards,

--
Alastair Maw