[Asterisk-Users] NEWBIE looking for advice.

Joshua Johnson joshua.johnson at ftlsys.com
Fri Oct 10 11:39:54 MST 2003

All,

    Thanks for taking time to read.

    I am wanting someone to tell me that I have a clue here and that the
following proposed setup would (possibly) work.

    Currently existing are 4 pots lines with qty. 10 AT&T 954/854 phones.

    Would like to convert to asterisk and at the same time do a mild
feature upgrade.

    Proposing to get:

    PIII 800MHz or better
    >=256MB RAM
    Linux box running Asterisk

    Adtran TA750 w/ 6 FXS Boards (24 channels w/ T1)
    Get a Quad FXO board and swap it with one of the FXS boards.

    Put a T100P or TE410P(expandability) in the Linux box and connect with
crossover T1 Cable to the Adtran.

    Run the current 4 POTS lines into the FXO's on the TA750.

    Wire the office phones to the FXS ports (now 20 of them since board
swap)

    Replace AT&T *54 phones with POTS phones, hopefully with a flash button.

    Configure Asterisk, and enjoy !!

    Would this be:

    1) A sane solution?
    2) Reliable/Hassle Free--compared to SIP phones, H.323, IAX etc.?
    3) Could I expect fax/data/callerID to function?
    4) Are there problems in tweaking the flash configuration, to get
things like hold, transfer, 3 way etc. to work.

Thanks in advance for any/all advice.

Joshua