[Asterisk-Users] Actual audio bitrates

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Fri Oct 10 10:10:28 MST 2003

Tais M. Hansen wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was just measuring the bitrates of a couple of codecs via iax. I'm getting
>much higher numbers than expected, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?
>
>Measured with iptraf, values displayed are:
>codec: measured bitrate (bitrate according codec definition)
>
>gsm: 52 kbps (13 kpbs)
>alaw: 154 kbps (?)
>speex: 57 kpbs (24 kpbs)
>
>Seems a little high to me?

These don't look right..

Were you useing analog phones connected to zap channels to make the
calls? Like this..
Analog phone--Asterisk==IAX==Asterisk--Analog phone
or
If you were using SIP phones did you have them connecting on seperate
NIC's so that you could isolate the IAX traffic? Like this..
SIPUA--{nic1}[Asterisk]{nic2}==IAX=={nic1}[Asterisk]{nic2}--SIPUA

Were you running iptraf on the Asterisk server and on the local
console?? (NOT through a remote SSH connection)

Did you have promiscuous mode in iptraf set to off?? ( there may have
been other traffic on the network)

If you answered NO to any of these chances are your traffic stats are
not correct.. Obviously there are other setups that could be used to
test the traffic rate but as you didn't mention how you did your tests I
just gave some thoughts....

Later..