[Asterisk-Users] University phone system

Doug Heckaman III tad at heckaman.com
Thu Oct 9 20:31:33 MST 2003

I just talked with a friend that is a computer teacher at the local
collage. He heard about my experiments with asterisk and some grandstream
phones, and he wants to get a small setup going as a class project, which
will hopefully expand to cover the whole building. Right now if a teacher
needs to call, he needs to go to the "teachers lounge" and use the phone in
there. Also, each room does not have a phone, which is getting very old (if
the teacher needs to talk to another teacher, they have to actully walk to
the other classroom). They also have many campuses scattered through out
the state, and each has a direct T1 to each one, which would allow
expansion to make campus to campus calls for free, without using up long
distance lines. I was wondering if anyone has ever setup something like
this, maybe with it starting out very small, (soft ip phones in the
classroom to play around with *), and gradually growing into something
larger. This would be good intro into linux, and would also benefit the
campus. Any thoughts on this idea and tips would be appreciated.

Doug