[Asterisk-Users] Mini-PC box to run server

Ashley Jones ashley at vergeworks.com
Wed Oct 8 14:32:28 MST 2003

> Have you sucessfully run Asterisk on a ITX system??
>
> I have heard that the processor in the ITX boards is not up to the job
> of larger processing jobs.. The review I read said that the 900Mhz
> processor had about the same processing power as a 500Mhz Intel processor..
>
> Rememebr this is just what I have read, I haven't actually tested it
> myself..
>
> I guess if you use low overhead codecs (G.711) it will be OK but I
> wonder how it will handle GSM, iLBC and G.729 codecs..

Yeah, for the record I have not run an * box on a VIA Eden processor.
If power were a concern, then the not quite silent Shuttle's would be a
good alternative:

	http://us.shuttle.com/ -> XPC Line

You can put a P4 2.3 Ghz w/ a gig of RAM and 400 Mhz front side bus in
one of those.  Still has on board video & ethernet to keep your card
count down.

-adj