[Asterisk-Users] Mini-PC box to run server

WipeOut wipe_out at lycos.co.uk
Wed Oct 8 14:17:26 MST 2003

Ashley Jones wrote:

> I'm a real big fan of the VIA Eden mainboard.  It's an ITX like wade
> mentioned, but the upshot is that it has an imbedded (yes, not
> upgradable) CPU with no fan.  The EDEN has sound, video, USB, and LAN
> all on board. Put a nice quiet drive in like the Seagate Baracuda IV
> and a case with an external power supply and you will have a near
> silent, very small * server with the HD as the sole moving part.
>
> Eden mobo @ Directron (i like them):
> http://store.yahoo.com/directron/viaepiav8000a.html
>
> ITX case w/ external power supply (random google found vendor):
> http://www.computerpartsusa.com/product.php?ID=776
>
> There are plenty of prefab systems out there too if you're not into
> building you own box.
>
> -adj

Have you sucessfully run Asterisk on a ITX system??

I have heard that the processor in the ITX boards is not up to the job
of larger processing jobs.. The review I read said that the 900Mhz
processor had about the same processing power as a 500Mhz Intel processor..

Rememebr this is just what I have read, I haven't actually tested it
myself..

I guess if you use low overhead codecs (G.711) it will be OK but I
wonder how it will handle GSM, iLBC and G.729 codecs..

Later..