[Asterisk-Users] Help with questions for initial Asterisk wizard (GUI)

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 17:35:14 MST 2003

How would you implement this?  As a series of questions like
the list below implies or as a long web based form?  I'd
prefer the later ad it would be good to have links to helpp for
each question.

I'm writing a web based front end now for a telemetry processing
system. It uses CGI and Perl, yes
it's primitive but we are talking "ultra-low" volume here, like one
"hit" an hour.

What I dislike about the linear set of questions is when I have to
change something and I'm forced to "click though" 100 questions
to get to the one I need to change.

One Idea I had for Asterisk confiuration was to do what sendmail does
and use M4 macros.  Then the user would just enter one line
for each feature he wants and the macroes would expand to the required
config files.  M4 is not that hard to use and it's available on every
Linux system.  One example:  Have a macro that expands to an outbound
context in extensions.conf that takes a few arguments where each
argument is an answer to one of the GUI's questions.  Another macro
expands to an entire .conf file by calling each required context macro.
This is modular and debuggable and expandable as Asterisk evolves.

Your "wizard" could be a layer on top of the macro system.  The
wizard's
output would e run through M4 to make the files.

The end user would have three option, he could edit the .conf files
ias now, edit the .m4 files which we hope could be much simpler or
use the GUI wizard.  As almost _all_ of the "smarts" would reside
in the M4 macros itwould be easy to make alternative "wizards".

I always like to build systems in layers and lately have been using
the web browser as a universal GUI platform,

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
  Cell:   310-990-7550