[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic registration to flakey for production system

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 7 15:28:15 MST 2003

I'm debugging SIP registration too.  My next step is to
install an Ethernet "sniffer" to log everything that goes ovr the
wire using ports 5060 and 8000~8020.  I'll soon know what's up.

You would be able to see if the phones are "forgetting" to register,
or if they are and Astrisk is dropping the data on the floor.

Switched Ethernet means I have to run the sniffer on the server
however or go and find a non-switching hub.

--- "Stephen R. Besch" <sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu> wrote:
> Three days after launching our * system with 20 GS phones, I have
> finally had to give up on dynamic registration.  The phones keep
> dissappearing from the sip peers list, even if just sitting idle.
> Either I spend half my time re-booting phones to get them registered,
> or
> the extension appears busy to outside callers and people get really
> irritated.  Even setting the registration interval to 5 minutes was
> not
> enough to guarantee that lines didn't go south.  The workaround was
> hard code the phone IP addresses in sip.conf and turn off SIP
> register
> in the phones.  It may cost be a bit of securiity, but since the
> phones
> are all on 192.168, I don't think it is too much of a risk.  However,
> if
> I was on a public network, or, if the phones were using DHCP for
> addressing, this could be a major headache.  Has anyone else had this
>
> problem and if so, what was the solution?
>
> Stephen R. Besch

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com