[Asterisk-Users] Dynamic registration to flakey for production system

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Tue Oct 7 15:05:07 MST 2003

Three days after launching our * system with 20 GS phones, I have
finally had to give up on dynamic registration.  The phones keep
dissappearing from the sip peers list, even if just sitting idle.
Either I spend half my time re-booting phones to get them registered, or
the extension appears busy to outside callers and people get really
irritated.  Even setting the registration interval to 5 minutes was not
enough to guarantee that lines didn't go south.  The workaround was to
hard code the phone IP addresses in sip.conf and turn off SIP register
in the phones.  It may cost be a bit of securiity, but since the phones
are all on 192.168, I don't think it is too much of a risk.  However, if
I was on a public network, or, if the phones were using DHCP for
addressing, this could be a major headache.  Has anyone else had this
problem and if so, what was the solution?

Stephen R. Besch