[Asterisk-Users] direct-inward-dialing (DID)

Paul Crick web-asterisk-users at ivrl.com
Tue Oct 7 14:13:49 MST 2003

There's been a few replies but thought I'd elaborate on my initial reply..

> How are you dropping the 456 there?  I thought extensions picked
> up what either the SIP phone had dialled, or what DTMF detection
> picked up when * answered the line...?
No.. if you have a PRI, the signalling is digital, no DTMFs there.. so
Asterisk received the caller ID and dialed number as part of the call setup
message. I should have explained in my example that I was assuming your
telco was sending you 4 digit DNIS. The stuff I used to work on previously,
we'd always ask for full 10 digit DNIS. Easier that way, you know exactly
what's going on (and no possibility of clashes if you have DIDs from
different exchanges).

> I'm looking at purchasing a PRI with 30 DIDs (can't get any fewer
> from Bell Canada)
Out of curiosity, where are you located and what's the PRI cost? (I'm in
Vancouver and looking to get a T1 in the very near future)

> and routing the calls coming in to multiple remote * boxes based
> on the called number.
So a sort of central hub/switch, taking calls in then farming them out to
remote * boxes over IP?

Cheers
Paul