[Asterisk-Users] clocking source for T100P?

TC trclark at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 7 12:54:17 MST 2003

>is it preferred that the T100P generate the T1 clock or that whatever it is
>plugged in to (channel bank, PRI, whatever) generate the clock?

That depends on the environment
This is what i have read b4 about t1 timing srcs

1. If the T1 is point to point  where both ends terminate on a different
* boxs. Then one of the T100p supplies clock for the other . The
network, unless other wise designed, will not supply clock to the T1

2. If the T1 originates from a PRI or channel bank, switch, etc, then the
network supplies clock
UNLESS the t100p can supply a T1 clock source traceable to a
Stratum 1 Primary Reference Source (PRS) ,
 then the T100 can supply clock back to the T1..

see here for a defintion of stratum src
http://www.raltron.com/products/pdfspecs/sync_an02-StratumLevelDefined.pdf

I am sure the clock on the digium h/w is not  Stratum 1 :)
Its is probably a Stratum 4 TTL oscillator...
I think there are only a few Stratum 1 src in the NorthAmerica big $$$$.

If your just clocking a channel bank it maybe a toss up who has the the
best timing src, but some might have a Stratum 3  certifed src ??