[Asterisk-Users] Anyone else use Audacity for prompts?

d.redmore at att.net d.redmore at att.net
Tue Oct 7 06:20:21 MST 2003

Why compress all your prompts to .gsm files?  Isn't * going to have to
reformat them anyway based on the codec being used for the call?  I have all
my voice prompts as 8khz/16bit .wav files (* can't seem to play back 8 bit
files).  I recorded them through soundforge as a 48Khz/16bit mono .wav - did a
little tweaking to compress and brighten them up - then resampled to 8khz.
Quality is as good as any I've heard from any commercial PBX...  It is
important to me, if I'm going to use * for my business, that the voice prompts
sound as clean and clear as any other system - from a marketing/PR standpoint.

Dave Redmore