[Asterisk-Users] Voice detection

Christian Hecimovic checimovic at qworks.ca
Fri Oct 3 17:39:35 MST 2003

dsp.c has silence detection that works quite well for detecting end-of-voice
silence. It is used to allow only a certain amount of silence at the end of
voicemails, for instance. See app_voicemail2.c on how to use it, specifically
the function play_and_record(). Note that the silence threshold (how
sensitive you are to silence) is read in from the voicemail.conf file.

Since the silence detection stuff has a nice public API, you can use it for
any app you write. See app_skel.c for a basic "shell", and follow something
like app_voicemail2.c. Read in the acceptable values for threshold and so
forth from a configuration file (there is a nice Asterisk API for this,
also), and you're set. For your purposes (playing a file after detecting
silence in a remote voice stream), such an app should be quite simple.

Christian